Life Hacks to stay FIT through the holidays!
Who doesn't appreciate the magic of the holidays? Between the parties and delicious food, it's hard to resist the merry feelings that the holidays bring! With that being said, the holidays are also the perfect combination of parties and treats to throw off your diet, exercise, & sleep regimen, as well as erase the hard work that you do all year long to eat right and exercise! This year, we want you to celebrate AND stay true to your goals. Check our list below for ways to stay FIT through the holidays!
1. Move more, sit less. Watching a football game with the fam? Every 30-60 minutes make sure that you get up and move for at least 5 minutes - even if you just stand up to cheer your team on! At an event where you have the option to sit or stand, choose to stand. You can actually burn an extra 100 - 200 calories per hour just by choosing to stand versus sit.
2. Workout in the morning. When those holiday parties & events start rolling in night after night, it can pretty much wreck your workout schedule. Try morning workouts to make sure that you still exercise! PRO TIP: No time for a super long workout? Try a HIIT or cycling class when you're crunched for time for an efficient workout!
3. Scratch the 'all or nothing' mentality. Can't find time for your regular workout? Grab 10 minutes wherever you can. Something positive is always better than nothing.
4. Make fitness a family activity. Get out and walk together after a big meal, schedule a class with us for the whole family (a little family Zumba maybe?), or go to the gym together and workout. Family time is an important aspect of the holidays, why not combine it with something important for your health?
5. Indulge for a night - not a season. We all deserve to enjoy ourselves this holiday season, but make a plan for which events you'll be choosing to fully indulge in food & drinks. For the parties where you choose to snack lightly, make sure that you don't arrive hungry, so you don't overeat. In addition, be mindful of what you put on your plate. Choose mostly fruits and vegetables, and when you do choose higher calorie, sugary foods, get smaller portions. You can also try using a smaller plate at events as a form of portion control.
6. Dump the junk. Leftovers can be awesome when you have amazing food, but they can also be a way for you to continue eating higher calorie, sugary foods that you would normally avoid. When it comes to leftovers, dump the unhealthy stuff. You can bring it to work, send it home with guests, or just plain toss it out. Whatever you do, just make sure that it's not hanging around your house interfering with your healthy diet.
7. Keep a spare gym bag in your car. Pack this bag with shoes, workout clothes, a power bar, and a water bottle. This way, if you have an opening in your schedule, you can just hit the gym! With the busyness of the holidays, you'll thank yourself for setting yourself up for an extra workout!
We hope these tips work for you this holiday season! Even if you do celebrate a little more than you planned, don't fret! The holidays only come once a year for a short amount of time! Just know that we'll be here for you when you're ready to get back to goal crushing!